Saturday, July 31, 2010

Advice for a treament resistant bipolar woman.?

My sister has delt with very severe depression for around 7 years now. She's been seen by countless doctors and has been diagnosed with many disorders and also recieved ECT treament twice. It's obvious the girl is sick but why won't anything work? Have you heard of a case similar to this before? And if so whats the next step. It almost seems like her bipolar is a safe place for her because thats where she has always been. She doesn't live with the disorder she IS the disorder... if that makes senseAdvice for a treament resistant bipolar woman.?
advice ? RUN !Advice for a treament resistant bipolar woman.?
You could use an attitude adjustment and an education. NO ONE is the illness and no one wants to live in depression. Shiiiiitttt, your sister has willingly been a med guinea pig and gone through having her head zapped. Wake up. Does that sound like anyone wanting such an existence. It is not like she is the disorder. It's like she's been dealt hell to live through.





I have no suggestions other than working with psychiatrists and new meds long enough to figure out if they work. If not, then move on. Oh, I do have another, treat your sister with a lot more respect than what you've implied that you do here.
I have heard of case of schizophrenia that was untreatable. The woman is instituationalized because her delusions are so bad. She had ECT about half a dozen times, too.





I'm sorry that you have to go through this and that your sister is in so much pain. Have patience and maybe a new drug will come that can give her the much needed help.
i know a man that is bipolar, refuses medication. sometimes it's like walking on ice. he can be fine, then wham, here we go again. bipolar is usually a binge thing, like shopping, working, spending money, crying - whatever it is they do it for like three days. the only way that i deal with it, is when it occurs, i let him rant and rave, without fighting back or mentioning that its his mental thing going on. usually, as with all things, no reaction causes the action to cease. i personally think this man i know should take a chill pill of some kind, but he refuses. just be patient. that is the most important thing. try not to focus on the disorder - her or you need to not mention it, hardly at all. the less it is thought about, the more it tends to fade away. remember, each case is different.
You need to find her a VERY good psychiatrist, one who is very good at drug interactions and chemical imbalance. Too many doctors don't pay attention to drug interactions that can have a negative effect that can make someone worse. Do some research %26amp; find a good doctor by reputation. Even if she has to wait 2 months to get an appointment a very good psychiatrist can get someone straightened out in 1 or 2 visits.
sadly there are a few who treatments don't work. my sister is the same shes been through ECT and every drug. the thing i have found is that the older they get it seems to lessen just a bit the symptoms. at least i don't have to pick her up in strange hotels and jail anymore.
I personally think that you should be gutted like a fish and set on fire.





As far as your sister I don't know what to say about that except that you should stay out of her life forever.
so leave her alone. some of us are comfortable outside the norm. live in our world or stay out
I personally have tried everything except ECT and have not been able to find anything that works for me. I did finally find some antidepressants that work for me, but they cause such severe sexual problems that i am not willing to take them (and NOBODY should be expected to. What a cruel cosmic joke, there). The depression, no matter how much I long for suicide to release me, is preferable to that constant frustration. I'm planning on getting ECT next month, and the doc is saying don't get my hopes up too much. I went inpatient for 2 weeks at a university hospital, and they gave me the last round of antidepressants that the guy swore up and down wouldn't cause sexual problems. Hmphff. I guess I just can't win?





Another thing she can try is vagus nerve stimulation. You will have to google that. Also, maybe she is taking a drug that is making her worse. I took ativan (valium, xanax are related) and that made the bipolar much much worse. About 5% of people get a really bad reaction to those drugs. Ambien made me go cuckoo and I ended up in a state hospital (very abusive place) for a few days until that drug got out of my system. so maybe there is something that is a problem drug. Also, if a person is very sick, they may not remember to take their pills every day. The pills can't work if you forget to take them.





Bipolar depression is hell on earth. Try to be more understanding. She is not getting anything positive out of this experience. The reason people with bipolar suicide (about 15%) is because the pain is so extremely intense and intolerable.





I hope something here was helpful. I have tried like 25 different meds, so I have really been thru this.
You know what I am Bipolar, and everyday its a struggle. But everyday you have to put in effort. I WANT to be HAPPY!


Oh and another thing my Dad doesnt put up with my bipolar, he has his limits. Also when I go to my doctors I dont get the poor you, they are hard and me and bascially I have to get my *** in gear. Everyday I say thank you God for the family, the food I eat, the roof over my head, everyday i run for an hour and a half, instead of lashing out at your love ones I can exert that energy through exercise, and also deep breathing.


I also go to see my therapist, and tell me all the time to push push dont give up, fight the depression.


Your sister sounds like she is a comfort zone, and could also be an attention seeker.


There are 1000 of people with bipolar disorder living normal lives, show her who they are and tell her to pull her weight.


And another thing, try to keep it more natural, too much meds is not so good, poor girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment